Herculaneum was a port city lying at the foot of Vesuvius. It waits for you to share the mysteries of its destruction in 79 A.D. and the secrets of its inhabitants still preserved in one of the most dense arcaeological parks in the world.
This tour will take you to the world’s best preserved roman city. It is Herculaneum, a rich city of merchants and nobility, whose life ended dramatically fast. Here you’ll see the waterfront where more then 300 remains of people trying to escape by sea were found, the Samnite house, the thermal baths, the Temple of the Augustales, the forum, the house of Neptune and Amphitrite, the Gymnasium, the house of the wooden partition and much more. I’ll take by the route which will allow us to see all the wonders of this once compact and densely populated city.
Why book this tour?
If you had been on a tour to Pompei before, you will get even more intense experience with Herculaneum. It has not only stone, marble and ceramics left, but also carbonized wood and more exquisite paintings and mosaics than in Pompei. The reason is that Herculaneum was destroyed by a much more powerful force, a piroclastic flow which instantly burnt all wood and buried the city under a thick layer which didn’t let the air go through and cause decay.
Second reason why this location is a must-see is that it’s much easier to handle than Pompeii. Herculaneum has been uncovered just for a small part because there are residential quarters on top of it. Moreover, the city was smaller that Pompeii. While you can’t hope to see everything in Pompeii, you can get a full picture of Herculaneum with an array of different buildings types, if you see it under a guidance of an experienced person. I’ll make sure you get the best impressions of the ancient civilization walking along the haunted streets of this astonishing city!
THIS TOUR CAN BE ADAPTED FOR YOUR WISHES AND INTERESTS
- Pick up at every port in Campania, client's hotel or other meeting locations.
- Visit of Herculaneum: the waterfront where more then 300 remains were found, Marina gate, terrace of Marcus Nonius Balbus, Samnite house, thermal baths, Forum, House of Neptune and Amphitrite, Gymnasium, Northern Cardo (road oriented north-south), House of the skeleton, Thermopolium, Temple of Augustales, House of the Black Saloon, House of Bel Cortile, House of the Wooden Partition, Bakery and much more.
- Drop off at the meeting point or other place to be agreed with the customers.
- The site of Herculaneum is vast and also very exposed with minimal shade, so the use of sunscreen and wearing a hat it is recommended.
- Make sure to take plenty of water.
- It is best to use closed shoes and not flip flops, since it can be difficult to walk through the ruins of Herculaneum with opened shoes.
- Skip the line: the guide can buy the tickets immediately at a preferential check-out.
- Estimated local cash needed: Herculaneum admission fee adult 11 €.
- The archaeological site of Herculaneum is closed on the 1st January, the 1st May and 25th December.
- It is forbidden to introduce inside the excavations of Herculaneum, handbags, backpacks, luggage, cases, larger than 30x30x15 cm.
Tours Nearby Herculaneum 2 hours with private transportation
The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.