Enjoy this tour designed to discover Rome's underground treasures.
This tour is designed to discover Rome’s underground treasures.
First stop at the Catacombs of St. Sebastianus, exploring the Catacombs themselves (a huge site of 12 km of galleries in total) in which St. Sebastianus the martyrs and many other Christians were buried. These quarries are the origin of a pagan cemetery, later used by Christians. Then the term catacumbas ended up qualifying all the underground cemeteries, which were simply called catacombs.
In alternative you’ll visit the Catacombe of San Callisto in which were buried tens of martyrs, 16 Popes and many Christians.
Afterwards you’ll visit the Basilica of San Clemente reserves, in the subsoil, some of the most important monuments of the city. It consists of three different chronological and structural levels. The first one consists of the XIIth century church, still on the surface; at the second level you’ll find the lower Basilica, dating back to the IVth century AD, which preserves some fantastic medieval frescoes. Going further down you will reach a third underground level with a complex of ancient Roman houses dating back to the Ith century AD and a suggestive Mithraeum.
Finally, we will visit the Cripta dei Cappuccini located just under the Church Santa Maria della Concezione, which is considered a true work of art for its decorations executed with human bones by a unknown “brilliant artist”.
- Pick-up at meeting location in Rome agreed with the client
- First stop at of Catacombs of St. Sebastianus, exploring the Catacombs themselves (a huge site of 12 km of galleries in total) in which St. Sebastianus the martyrswere buried and many Christians.
- Visit the Basilica and the Catacombs of Saint Clemente.
- Visit the Cripta dei Cappuccini located just under the Church Santa Maria della Concezione, which is considered a true work of art for its decorations executed with human bones by a "brilliant artist" unknown.
- A dress code is required to enter places of worship and selected museums. No shorts or sleeveless tops allowed. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. You may risk refused entry if you fail to comply with these dress requirements
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not suitable for people with impaired mobility
Tours Nearby Rome Underground – Catacombs and hidden treasures
The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.